Monday 19 March 2007

Polar Positives

So why go on an Arctic Adventure?
Satisfaction – I’m told you feel great satisfaction from joining the ‘Big Boys’ League of Expeditions’. To be honest, I’d be pleased if I managed to walk an hour a day - without a sledge. But it takes all sorts. Mainly Alpha Males, I imagine.
The Menopause – Let me make it clear, I am not approaching the menopause (I am only 41). But when men reach a certain age they desire to do something different with their lives. Some buy motorbikes, some choose expensive cars, some date younger women. Others escape to the wilderness. There are nine men and four women going on this trip. Sounds like there will be a lot of hormones flying around.
Losing Weight – I am told that I will lose between 7lbs and 10 lbs. Although I’m not fat I would be thrilled to lose half a stone. What woman wouldn’t? And what good timing. The mini is back in vogue this Spring and I will return in time to sport toned thighs. I’m not sure whether a woman over 40 should wear a mini but, at least, I’ll feel happy to wear a skirt (after a leg wax, pedicure and holiday in sunny climes, of course)
Eat What You Want – Trekkers prepare a ‘munchy bag’ for each day. This contains favourite energy giving calorific foods. In short, you can eat as much chocolate as you want without getting fat or feeling guilty. Bliss. Perhaps Weight Watchers should advertise such trips?
No Mobiles – There will be a satellite phone held by the group leader so in the event of any emergencies you can be contacted. I’m never parted from my mobile but imagine it might give my brain cells a break.
Spectacular Scenery - The trip is described as ‘an Arctic wilderness of jagged mountain peaks, deep valleys, steep walled fjords and eternal glacial ice’.
Character Test - ‘We aim to guide you towards becoming the kind of person that every team wants’.

I’m nervous. I will be the novice of the group. The smallest. Shall I go? What’s stopping me? Fear. Being Frozen. Frostbite.

No comments: