Sunday 25 March 2007

Maternal Meltdown

Just three days to go and I have been busy working out the itinerary. Not mine, but the kids. I have written a long list outlining where they are meant to be, at what time and who will be looking after them. This is complicated by factors such as drama shows, swimming lessons, cubs, tennis etc. How can two children do so much in so few days? At least they will be so busy they won't have too much time to think about me. I hope. When I mentioned to Lara's teacher that I was off to the Arctic next week he looked at me as if to say, 'No problem, she'll be fine!' The good thing about Lara's teacher is he is a champion snowboarder, or so she tells me, so he has an affinity with snow. Meanwhile, for Mother's Day, my five year-old, Joe, dictated a poignant card saying how much he'd miss me while I'm on 'my trip' and that he wanted to give me a present to show how much he loved me. He also said he'd take a photo of me when he goes on holiday and look at it when he's sad. I have asked Lara to do a Diary from Dubai while I'm writing mine in the Arctic so we can compare them when we get back. I started off by saying, I'll be writing something like, 'I'm in the tent and there is ice inside. I've walked a long way today and fancy a cup of tea.' She said, 'Mum, you need to give more detail!' She is a hard taskmaster. I didn't want to say, 'I can't feel my little toe and think I've got frostbite. I wish I was sat in front of a lovely log fire, toasting marshmallows!' I imagine when you are in the High Arctic and its minus 30 or so you start to fantastise about such things - but I shall keep you posted. One thing I have been fantasting about is a Hot Water Bottle...

No comments: