Wednesday 28 March 2007

Bound for Baffin

Today, I leave for Baffin. After all the preparations the day has arrived. Thank you to everyone who has wished me luck on my big adventure. This morning, half-asleep, rummaging through my post, I found a card from my older brother, Gordon, which said: "Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your mind off your Goals." It was the perfect card to read at that moment. I had just found two informational sheets from the British Mountaineering Council - one on frostbite and the other on sun/wind protection.
I tried my Lady Jane last night - and it worked! I know it will be harder to pee into a bottle in a tent when I'm cold but, hey, I must keep my eye on the goal and not the obstacle!
I still have a few things to pack and the children's lunchboxes to make...then I will be leaving. I will try to blog when I'm away but it may be very hard as we can not use mobile phones across Baffin Island. I promise to report back in detail on my return. My friend, Alice, suggested I buy a tinted lipstick with sun protection at Heathrow as she thought it would do Arctic Belle some good while trudging across the ice. Nothing like a decent lippy to keep your spirits up. So, farewell my friends - off to the Arctic I go.

No comments: