Friday 30 March 2007

Have You Been This Far North?

After our Last Supper at the Discovery Lodge in Iqaluit, a group returned from a trip across Baffin Island. A tall fit looking man in his twenties asked, "Have you been this far North before?"
"No," I replied. "Well, let me give you a little advice. You will feel strange for at least two days, but stick with it. Once you've got over the first 48 hours you'll be fine. Let you body acclimatise. Don't panic. It will get a lot easier." He looked shattered. His group had endured 80 knot winds, minus 30, and didn't make it all the way across the National Park. After handing over their equipment to us they headed straight for the bar. The moment I saw my red sledge ouitside my bedroom door reality hit. Then came the sleeping bag, the skiis, the ski poles, the blow up mattress, the crampons...What was I doing? Another member of their team appeared outside our door. "Oh, yes, you should know there's a bear den in the Owl Valley." I laughed nervously. "Very funny," I said. "Are you taking a firearm?" he asked.

No comments: