Monday 19 March 2007

Little John

Today, the postman delivered a special package: two Little Johns. Nothing saucy. These are portable urinals which were recommended we take on our trip across Baffin. They are red plastic bottles with a lid, ideal for male arctic explorers, who get caught short in the middle of the night in their cosy tents and don't fancy nipping outside in minus 40.
I had already ordered two Lady Jane's - the 'female adaptor' that goes on top of the Little John. but quickly discovered that a Lady Jane is useless without a Little John. Now I have two of each, one set for myself and another set for a fellow female traveller. I have been advised to practise using my Little John and Lady Jane before I go but think I'll give it a miss. Thereagain, if I miss my Lane Jane in my sleeping bag in the middle of the night it will be no laughing matter.
To cheer myself up, I checked today's temperatures on Baffin. If it's not too cold then maybe I'll nip out of the tent in my thermals and relieve myself. Perhaps I can even enjoy staring up at the stars? After clicking on the weather information, I don't think star gazing will be an option. The temperature in Qikiqtarjuaq (where we are heading) is minus 18, windchill minus 32, blizzards forecast. Brrrrr.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well .. I'm still waiting for my little john and lady jane. Fortunately I have the bladder of a camel if they don't make it in time