Saturday 27 October 2007

Bubbles Suspended in Ice

If someone could create a perfect piece of art for me this would be it: bubbles suspended in ice. On Easter Sunday we stepped onto Glacier lake where I could not believe the vision below me. I peered down to see bubbles suspended in ice. I did a double take. The view was simply mesmerising as I crunched across the ice on crampons. After Glacier Lake we walked onto Summit Lake where the mountains hugged the shoreline. then it was into the Weasel Valley where we climbed down iced waterfalls and came face to face with open water. Once again, we made an unexpected detour which only added to the drama of the expedition. My brother offered to test out the ice/water but his heroic efforts were turned down. Thank God. I wouldn't want to lose my brother. Earlier on in the trip he thought he'd lost me when I went grey in the tent one night. He checked I was still breathing and, even though I looked like death warmed up, I was happily snoring away enjoying Arctic dreams

No comments: