Monday 23 April 2007

No Mobiles, No Washing

The moment we landed in Iqaluit we were wandering around in a state of Arctic Shock. Firstly, the freezing cold air literally took your breath away, and secondly, our mobile phones didn't work. I could see the shocked expressions on people's faces as they checked their phones. Not least my brother's! He is usually tied to his mobile phone. The funny thing is, he says I'm always on my mobile, but I can assure you he is ALWAYS on his mobile. The fact he is a 'senior police officer' means the sort of calls he takes are usually 'Top Secret'. He usually walks several feet behind me when he's on the phone and I respect the distance. What else can I do? He could be talking to a Hit Man! Well, in Iqaluit, it was the first time since mobile phones were invented, that we've spent time together without a mobile phone getting inbetween us. He looked at his phone and shook his head. A day later he was still convinced the phone was ringing or vibrating in his pocket. This is what you call MPA (Mobile Phone Addiction). Being in the Arctic was a big challenge. For all those addicted to mobile phones it was a bigger challenge.
Within a day, the other bizarre realisation I had was - I did 'No Washing'. Having two young children means I am always putting washing loads on. Well, on our trek there were a) no washing machines (phew) and b) no washing. I have to admit while away I didn't think a moment about the state of the laundry basket, but now back at home I am always wishing there was nothing in it. Like most women in the country. Back to the personal hygiene. Several people have asked me about this. How did you clean yourself? Well, we didn't wash for 12 days. Fact. We had no showers or baths. Did we smell? Yes. Except no-one admitted it. We were told not to use deodorants as this would clog our pores up. But, I caught one of my fellow trekkers rolling it on one morning and felt a stab of jealousy. I have one big confession. I took some Clarins lotions as a 'feel good factor' but they froze! One night, one kind man defrosted them in a pot of boiling water and I squished the hand lotion into my nearly defrosted fingers. I can't tell you just how good it felt. It may have been be minus 30, wind chill 50, but there's nothing like a little pampering to lift your spirits!

No comments: